Cupcakes look fantastic, taste great and they are so simple to make and decorate
What you need:
- 175g/6oz caster sugar
- 175g/6oz butter or margarine, softened at room temperature
- 3, medium sized eggs - lightly beaten
- 175g/6oz self-raising flour
For the buttercream icing
- 225g/5oz butter, softened
- 500g/10oz icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- A few drops food colouring – if needed
Equipment: Note list to be provided
Makes 12 cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale.
- Beat in the eggs a little at a time.
- At the same time fold in the flour using a large metal spoon, until the mixture is of a soft consistency.
- Equally spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are half full.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden-brown on top
- By inserting a skewer or a knife into one of the cakes, if it comes out clean. Your cakes are cooked
- Set aside to cool, then remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- For the buttercream icing, beat the butter in a large bowl until soft.
- Add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Then add the remaining icing sugar, if needed a one-tablespoon of the milk, until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add the food colouring and mix until well.
- For best results use
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe the icing using a spiraling motion onto the cup cakes in a large swirl.
- Sweets look greats.
- You can always make your own decorations with purchasing petal paste, available in all colours and cutters available in all shapes and sizes.